First, I apologize for the long break in my writing. I had hope over the holidays to begin to post but I have been processing a lot of information and struggling with where we are and where we are going to the point of feeling overwhelmed. I did not even read any blogs because I did not want to get excited over another idea that I might not be able to implement.
4 members of the staff attend NECC and the
Faculty in service-
What does it mean to teach and learn in the 21st century- Is it fundamentally any different than in the 20th century?
Watched Thomas Friedman’s MIT lecture on The World is Flat
Reorganized our K-8 school into learning academies
Junior High Information Technology Preparatory Academy
Sept. 2006 to present ( some of what we have done)
- Computer lab reconfigured to a classroom layout
- We disposed of our Pentium Computers with either 32 or 64 megs of ram and 3 gig hardrives were replaced with industry cast offs that are Pentium 3 800 meghertz with 10 gig hardrives and 256 ram—These at least are adequate for our needs----
- Went from computers gathering dust to a full utilization of the lab by classroom teachers (tech support but no lab teacher)
- Purchased to LCD projectors and two lap top computers which are in constant use by teachers and now students. Who are learning the ins and outs of good presentations.
- Introduced open source software- specifically Open office
- All teachers have read educational blogs and left some comments on student work from around the world
- All teachers have been introduced to RSS and have written at least one blog entry
- A classroom has signed up for e-pals
- Grades 5 to 8 have worked on internet literacy and talked about the validity of web sites
- 6 to 8 are beginning scribe activities
- Students in Grade 7 have tried their hand at creating a wiki
- Grades 6- 8 have been given online access to their grades and homework through personal passwords
- Grades 6- 8 each student has a blog and they are just beginning to see some action as of this writing
- Teachers in 6-8 have designed a cross curricular unit based on Romeo and Juliet which will encourage blog activity across the subjects
- We established a Moodle site and we are beginning to build content..
- 5 Teachers attending California CUE conference in March